|Pagliacci’s New York Cheesecake–Made and photographed this year in St. Paul|
I don’t double blog. Or if I do, I do it rarely.
This cake, however, belongs on both blogs. I’ve made it for Dave’s birthday since l984 and for lots of other occasions since. In different reincarnations. Chocolate, pumpkin, toffee, cranberry compote. You get the idea.
Pagliacci’s New York Cheesecake (adapted by More Time at the Table)
- 40 ounces cream cheese, room temperature (5 8oz packages; I use low-fat.)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups sugar (I like a 1 1/4 cups)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 500º. Make sure your oven is clean before you start!
- Beat cream cheese with electric mixer in large bowl until very smooth. Blend in lemon juice and vanilla. Sift sugar, flour and salt together and gradually beat into cheese. Beat until creamy, smooth and light, about 5 minutes. Beat in eggs and yolks one at a time, being careful to not over beat. Blend in cream. Pour into crust. Place filled pan on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil.
- Bake 12 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300º. Continue baking for 45-55 minutes or until firm around outside, but still a little jiggly at center.
- Run a sharp knife around the edge of the pan. Cool cake completely, wrap loosely, and refrigerate at least 24 hours before serving.